WHO WE ARE
Southern Hills Christian Church is part of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ).
Disciples of Christ: A unique form of American Protestantism, the church grew up on the American frontier in the early 1800’s. Today the church is known in some places as the Christian Church and in others as the Disciples. The denomination numbers a million members in 4,200 congregations in the United States and Canada. Congregations of the Christian Church are congregationally governed and there is one primary requirement for membership: belief in Jesus Christ.
Our church: Southern Hills Christian Church was organized in 1966. In 1968 the first unit of our present facility was completed. In 1975, 1982 and 1992 new facilities for fellowship and education were added. Additional classrooms were added in 2000 and the complete refurbishing of the sanctuary, gathering area, and offices was accomplished in 2001.
The church continues to strive to be true to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Jesus Christ calls us to be a faith community that nurtures people in spiritually transforming relationships with God, others, and all creation.
In response to Christ’s call, we are committed to:
- Providing vibrant, dynamic and meaningful worship experiences around the Lord’s Table.
- Helping all to be accepted and nurtured in our faith community.
- Growing and maturing in our understanding of Jesus and His gospel.
- Celebrating the diversity that exists among us.
- Inviting all to share the love and grace of Christ and welcome them into His church.
- Standing with those in need.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
Jesus Christ calls us to be a faith community that nurtures people in spiritually transforming relationships with God, others, and all creation. Accepting the vast freedom and diversity within our congregation, most members share these basic beliefs:
- GOD- revealed in many ways, in creation, in scripture, in human experience, but most clearly in the life, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ.
- CHRIST- The Son of God, part of God’s own divinity; yet fully human, having shared life as we know it. Christ is Emmanuel, God with us. Christ came for us and gave himself for us.
- HOLY SPIRIT- The Spirit of Christ, the power of God working with and among us, inspiring us toward love, justice, peace and unity.
- THE BIBLE- A guide for Christian living and faith, revealing God’s intent for the world in Jesus Christ.
- BAPTISM- The sign of our acceptance of God’s abiding grace in Jesus Christ. Practiced by immersion for those mature enough to decide for themselves. Upholding “open membership”, we receive those baptized by other methods.
- THE LORDS SUPPER- Celebrated each Sunday as the central focus of our worship. It is a service of remembrance, of thanksgiving and of dedication. Practicing “open Communion”, all who call on the name of Christ are invited to participate.
- INCLUSIVE MINISTRY- Ordained clergy carry out many of the ministerial functions, but all members are called to ministry and are entitled to interpret the scriptures and perform church functions.
- ECUMENICAL- We work cooperatively with all Christian communions, locally, nationally, and worldwide.